Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Ethical Dilemma...

OK, so I bought the iPod last week. I've having great fun with it. I've found all sorts of neat applications to put on it as well as subscribed to a couple of podcasts on varying topics. The one thing I don't have on it is a ton of music.

Sure, I've got a PILE of CD's hanging around, and it would seem to be fairly easy to pop them into the drive on the computer and save them to my iTunes folder, but what seems to be MUCH easier would be to load up from the iTunes store. The problem with that is that my dear wife is a pretty smart cookie. She has the initials CPA & CFP behind her name. She also peruses the activity on our credit card several times per week. She knew the next morning the last time I downloaded music and questioned the frivolity of the $1.98 I had spent.

Herein lies the ethical dilemma... I do the vast majority of shopping for our household. At least once a week I hit the grocery store, and periodically, I hit Wal-Mart or Target for household goods. I also visit Walgreens on occasion for random purchases. All of these places sell iTunes gift cards in varying amounts.

You see where I'm going with this...

In amongst the packages of toilet paper, grocery items, assorted whatnots, suppose a gift card found its way into the basket? Of course, the receipt would have to be "lost" so as not to give away what seems to be a perfect plan...

In the past, I've used the same tactic to purchase stockpiles of "projectiles" for the home protection. Of course, that can be justified as being for the "common good", and I eventually ended up admitting to it anyway (she saw the stockpile and questioned whether any government bureaus should be notified...). iTunes? Any thoughts on how to justify that purchase as being for the "common good"?

Any thoughts from faithful readers?

6 comments:

Ty Camp said...

If she notices $1.98 expenditure on the credit card, she's going to notice all the new music when it's playing around the house or in the car. Not to mention, if she ever gets into iTunes herself, she's going to notice all the new music and start wondering where it came from. This is all beside the point because whenever you lie to your wife, she will find out...it's like a 6th sense. Don't do it, man. The outcome of this plan is not looking good, my friend.

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

I need to teach you some tricks on laundering household money. You need some "man money" for man stuff.

You can't justify to a woman all the stuff you do.

What if you actually went to a strip club with the boys? You'd be out of luck trying to get that by the boss.

Not that I do that stuff...just an example.

MELackey said...

before we had kids and the $24k per year daycare habit, we had a $100 no questions asked limit. I managed to have all manner of fun (no strip clubs allowed).

The question becomes, is it lying? If asked, I'd have to admit it. I will say that while she did question the $1.98, but didn't really give me a hard time about it since she liked the chosen music.

Wreggie, I liked your way of turning worthless Christmas presents into something useeful. I am intrigued about the laundering of household money (for purely einformational purposes, not that I'd be forced to put any of them to use.

I might be able to use them to figure out why Shelly seems to have clothes that I've never seen with tags still attached hanging in the bathroom and new shoes on a regular basis. It could be that there is already some money laundering going on by the financial expert of the household. Perhaps the accountant is cooking the books?

Anonymous said...

Shelly,
I'd still inspect his grocery store receipts. You never know what he's sneaking in there.

Joanna

MELackey said...

Shelly makes it a point not to read the blog. She's not a big fan of blogging in general.

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Gigi doesn't read mine either.