Monday, October 13, 2008

Travelling Man...

This is shaping up to be yet another busy week, with no rest for the weary.

The weekend before last, I loaded the Lackey crowd, Jonathan, Matthew, Shelly, and Sweetie the Chihuahua, along with Shelly's friend Janice and everything you need to feed and entertain such a crowd for a weekend and headed to the ranch. The Expedition was crammed full, and I had the hitch haul on the back to carry the cooler that didn't fit inside the truck.

Last weekend, we spent the better part of Saturday at a Fall Festival put on by the company Shelly works for. After the festival, Matthew and I headed back out to the ranch on a quick trip to replace and fill my deer feeder. As you probably remember me complaining about last week, the cows or some other critter broke the motor off of my deer feeder and completely destroyed it. My choice was to spend $150 for a new motor (solar powered charged with a pretty fancy digital timer) or to send the old one back with $25, which would cover rebuilding it, changing out the rechargeable gel cell battery, and return shipping. Bonus that I bought the one with the lifetime warranty to be able to get the cheap rebuilds. Unfortunately, the rebuild will take 8 weeks to get it back. In the interest of time, I borrowed a motor from my Dad that he's not using, and Matthew and I set out to install it. No problems, just a quick trip out there and back. One small duffel bag and we went in the Altima instead of the Expedition. I like that car more and more these days (29 mpg average for the entire trip, with my heavy foot).

This week is busy at work, then I leave Saturday for a conference in Greensboro, NC. I always laugh about my work trips vs the ones the owners take. They take several trips per year to places that have the word "Palm" or "Island" in the name. I've been to Chicago, Dallas, and the Airport Marriott in Newark, NJ. I'm about to add the Airport Marriott in Greensboro, NC to the list. Not a golf course in sight, and I don't even leave the airport grounds. Also, the things I attend are actually learning deals where you spend all day in a hotel conference room, not boondoggle trips with golf, fishing, etc, etc. This one is a deal about trucking insurance. If anyone reads this and lives in Greensboro, feel free to pick me up and take me out Saturday night so I'm not eating dinner in the hotel bar - you don't have to buy, just provide transport and company. I believe my flight gets in mid to late afternoon on Saturday.

I think I have one weekend at home after that, and then we get into deer season and the holidays. Buy stock in the major gasoline distributors now, because we're going to burn a few gallons between now and the end of the year.

1 comment:

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Dang, I would drive over except I'm headed to Baltimore this week and get in late Friday. Then I'm gone Sunday for the game.