Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Denny's vs. IHOP...

Every time I opened Internet Explorer yesterday, msn.com had a little deal about breakfast wars going on between Denny's & IHOP. This must have stuck in my mind because when I headed out to lunch, something drew me to IHOP. After browsing the menu, I chose an omelet with ham, cheese, onions, and filled with hash browns. All of that goodness was served with 3 buttermilk pancakes. Not bad, eh?

Well, while I was enjoying my lunch, Shelly called. When I told her where I was eating, she told me that she was planning for us to eat dinner at Denny's. There is a Denny's right next to where Matthew is taking swimming lessons in the evenings, and kids eat free on Tuesdays. I chose the omelet with bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc, served with a side of hash browns and a biscuit with gravy.

The verdict? It was VERY close. Almost too close to call. Neither one is exactly "first tier" dining, but both are consistently decent (or at least consistently average). In the end, I think the pancakes at IHOP tilted the verdict in their favor.

In the end, I think Cracker Barrel is just slightly better than the others. I'll have to go there soon.

That being said, I think my breakfasts are better, although I can't seem to make a decent pancake to save my life. I can make some damn good eggs, and I make a mean omelet with smoked deer sausage, grilled onions, and whatever else is available to throw in them. Well, it's sort of an omelet. I'm still working on the folding technique, but the taste is top notch.

2 comments:

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Personally, Ihop. Now finish the post.

Anonymous said...

hmmm...some things must run in the family. Mom and I both chose that same omelet from IHOP when we went there last week, without even knowing what the other picked. Kids eat free at IHOP after 5:00 EVERY night, so that may just tilt it a little in their favor. Of course Denny's is a much closer to my house, but that doesn't seem to help us go there more.