Friday, September 12, 2008

Battening down the Hatches...

It looks like Ike is going to give us a fairly good bit of wind and rain. I am happy that the storm shifted slightly and it is going to pass just to the East of us. That should give us a slightly easier hit than we could have gotten, although this is still going to be a big deal. We're fully provisioned, we have the batteries and flashlights and plenty of stuff to eat and drink. I'm hopeful that if we do lose power that it doesn't stay out very long.

In watching the news reports, they are very concerned about Galveston and the areas around Galveston Bay being swamped by the storm surge. I received an e-mail alert from CNN that said people staying in low lying surge zones faced certain death. Wow. That's pretty direct. The local news station said that the entire Galveston island could be completely covered. They are telling people that insist on staying to make sure to put some sort of identifying mark on themselves so after the storm the authorities will be able to identify their body. We're still several hours away from landfall, and parts of the island are already under water.

I'll post a little later as we start seeing the effects of the storm, but after that, I'm not sure when I'll be able to update again due to power and internet access issues.

If anyone wants a text update later, drop me a line to melackey73 at yahoo dot com and I'll give you my cell number.

No comments: