Monday, September 08, 2008

Radiant Barrier...

We had a radiant barrier installed / applied in our attic last weekend. Energy costs are nuts, and we're trying to do what we can to lower utility costs at our house. While Shelly was on maternity leave, we had to cool the house all day long, and let me tell you, that wasn't cheap. We about cried when a $502 electricity bill arrived. At 2400 sq feet, our house isn't huge, and 74-75 isn't exactly arctic temperature.

Last year we started replacing light bulbs with the little curly compact fluorescent as the old ones burned out or as I thought they might make a difference. We started with the lamps by the bed, then changed the kids closet lights since those are used as night lights sometimes.

After living here for a little over 7 years, I also finally programmed the programmable thermostats. Man, I should have done that sooner. I no longer have to remember to run them up during the day and then have to go to bed sweating because I forgot to turn the upstairs unit back down in the evening.

I had been hearing about radiant barriers, and from what I understood, the theory was sound. My in-laws had it done, so we had the guy come out and measure ours and talk to us a little about it. They installed it, so I guess we'll see how well it works at helping reflect heat.

One minor complaint that we getting resolved. Those jokers got a little paint happy up in my attic. Of course, they get up in the attic with their hoses and spray guns, close the attic stairs after themselves, and commence to spraying. The paint fumes are pretty strong, so I guess it has to get to them after a while. They painted over the light bulb, and completely painted the speaker for our burglar alarm. It looks nice now, but the whole system is completely jacked-up. Security this week is provided by Smith & Wesson instead of ADT. I called to chat with them about it and you get the idea that it might be a common occurrence because they told me to get it fixed and then send them the bill. Hopefully they make good on it. I guess I can dispute the charge to the credit card if they they to hose me.

So, opinions, please... Am I a Sucker for getting the thing installed, or is it a good financial decision?

2 comments:

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

I've never heard of a radiant barrier.

We are fortunate to be surrounded by a canopy of trees, at least as far as summer is concerned.

Our cooling bill for our 1700 square foot house is $140ish in the summer and we keep it comfortable.

Anonymous said...

One of our friends here in Houston had one installed and he said it made a definite difference in their electric bill. So I guess you just have to wait and see.

Joanna