Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Man, what a day...

OK, I enjoy time off from work as much as the next guy, but enough is enough. We still don't have power at our office, but the boss managed to get the phones forwarded to his house. Good, right? Well, as I do a good amount of the underwriting for our company, many of the calls are customers looking for quotes on stuff I'm working on. I can't tell you how many calls I got from the boss yesterday wanting me to call somebody back and handle something. If I have to keep answering the phone, I'd rather be at the office.

So, I sent the boss a text message this morning offering to go over to his house and man the phones if he had something else he needed to do. As it turns out, he located a generator that we expected would operate the necessities at our office. He wanted me to meet him up there to get things going. We spent all day trying to get things going with half of the stuff running from a generator, and the other half running from the generator in his father's big diesel RV. I think we just about have it whooped. Hopefully we'll be up and running first thing in the morning.

Also, I nearly witnessed a beat down at the gas station this morning. With power out all over town, people are either staying with friends or family, or they are surviving with generator power. This increases the need for gasoline. Couple that with only about 25% or less of the gas stations being operational, and you have a mess. It generally takes about 30 minutes of waiting in line to get gas. This is the primary reason why I stockpile gasoline at the beginning of each hurricane season. I keep 30+ gallons handy, and next year I might keep double that amount.

Anyway, after filling the generator at the office this morning, I took the empties up to the station to fill the jugs again while we were waiting for the electrician to show up. The stations generally set things up where all of the entrances but one are blocked and everyone lines up to get in. When you pull up, everyone pulls up in the same direction, and which side of the pumps you pull up to depends on which side of the car your gas cap is. I was just thinking that everything was running really smoothly, and everyone was cooperating patiently, when a car with 3 LARGE women of another race drove up in a car with 4 kids. They whipped in through a closed driveway and pulled the wrong direction to a pump, blocking one of the lines from going anywhere. They then proceeded to belligerently cuss at everyone that they were cutting in front of. They kept yelling that they were "fidden" to run out of gas and they had kids in the car. Boo, hoo. Everyone in line was there because they needed gas.

Of course, most of the people in line that just got hosed were either white or Asian. I was just waiting for another large black woman to emerge from somewhere back in the line that had been waiting patiently. Unfortunately, none came forward. Whites and Asians will generally yell back at the offending parties, but won't get in a physical altercation. A person of the same race as these women probably would have administered an ass whoopin. That would have made my day.

Let me be clear, the vast majority of the people from this race are decent people, but how come every time I've witnessed this same type of deal (jumping lines, whipping into a parking space you are pulling into, etc, etc, it's always LARGE female members of the race with generally twice the number of butts in the car as there are seatbelts?

No comments: