Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Christmas Shopping...

Shelly and I went out tonight and did a little bit of our Christmas shopping. Our friend Janice lives a stone's throw from a Toys R Us, so we left the boys with her and headed out to shop for all of the kids in the family.

I LOVE giving gifts and I love picking out toys for the kids, but I hate dealing with the other shoppers. In Houston, it seems that whenever we decide to go shopping, it is right after a crowd has rummaged through the store leaving it in a complete disarray. On top of that, the other people that are there are all speaking languages other than English. Not sure why, but I tend to get a little annoyed by that.

It took a little over an hour of searching the shelves of scattered and strewn about toys, but we managed to take care of gifts for our boys as well as the niece and nephews. Now we just need to buy for our parents and for each other and we'll be set.

One funny thing happened tonight, which is pretty much what you might expect from me... As we were wrapping up our shopping, we were alone on an aisle of toys for the younger kids. I needed to release a little pressure, and since no one was around, I popped one off. It was a little louder and longer than expected, and about the time I turned around, there was another couple coming onto the aisle, not 6 feet from me. Shelly was between me and this couple.

I was COLD BUSTED.

It all happened so fast. The guy busted out laughing and took off, leaving his wife standing there with her mouth open and a look on her face that said "What the heck just happened here?" Shelly turned around just in time to see the woman with a funny look on her face and then turned back in my direction as I busted out laughing. The woman beat a hasty retreat when it finally hit her what had happened.

Ok, at that point, you are stuck. You can't exactly look out into the main aisle to see where the other couple went. You have to move the other direction. We also had to regain our composure because we were laughing so hard we were crying.

Shelly said she's not sure she can take me anywhere in public again.

Now that I'm recapping the evening, I wonder what the store employees thought was going on when they saw 2 separate couple dying laughing, headed in opposite directions.

Apologies if this offends anyone, but by now you shouldn't be shocked by much that goes on in our family.

3 comments:

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

This is typical of the fine writing that I have come to expect on this blog.

MELackey said...

yeah, when I was typing it it was thinking that this was an entry that was getting me back to my original form.

I knew this was a blog worthy post as soon as I saw the look on that lady's face.

Ty Camp said...

Great, now I have to explain to some of my co-workers why I'm laughing so hard. This one is an instant Lackey classic! And by the way, if I were Shelley, I wouldn't take you anywhere public either.