Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Going to the doctor...

Earlier in the week I started getting that strange feeling the the back of the throat that told me I was coming down with something. What starts out as head congestion for me quickly turns into bronchitis. I had asthma as a kid, so I think that makes me a little more susceptible to chest type issues.

Not a big deal, it just means that I need to go to the doctor once or twice a year when the crud hits to make sure it doesn't get too bad. Ok, doctors for a man are a pain in the butt. For several years, I would just pick one out of the most current list of doctors for our health insurance each time I was sick. The problem with this is that I could never remember which doctor I had seen the last time, so I never saw anyone more than once.

Also, it cheesed me off that when I would call it would always seem to take 2 days to get an appointment. I'm a man. By the time I get around to calling a doctor, a 2 day wait isn't a good idea. By then I will either be cured from over-the-counter meds, or I will be dead somewhere. That is, until I found Dr Moore.

Dr Moore is my kind of Doctor. He's old school. By old school, I mean he graduated from med school 52 years ago. This dude is pushing 80. The first time I went to him a few years ago, I called and asked for an appointment. It was about 11:30, and they told me to come in at 1:00.

I've found out since that first visit that appointments aren't required. I've never had to wait when showing up. Hell, I've only seen another patient there at the same time as me once in the last 3 years. Today, I got there at 11:10. at 11:30, I was pulling out of the parking lot with a shot in my right butt cheek and a prescription in hand.

The joke around here is that I still call in for an appointment, more or less just to make sure the old fart is still alive. I know one of these days I'll call in and either will get a phone disconnected message, or they will tell me he has either finally retired or kicked the bucket.

Dr Moore, here's wishing you many more years of health.

1 comment:

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

I had asthma as a kid too...and it came back a few years ago. Now I keep the over the counter inhalers around.

I like an old doc. I had an old doctor a few years ago. He wouldn't allow those paper sheets. He said, "Hell...I'm not a butcher. Get this man a real sheet."

And the nurse did.