Sunday, December 21, 2008

Surprise Guest...

Last week was a week from hell. Both Shelly and I had long, frustrating weeks at work. There was also some drama with some stupid family politics that had me pretty fired up. I'm not going to say much because most of the family reads the blog at one time or another, but lets say it got bad enough that I hung op on a family member over it. All is fine now, but that added to the stress of the week.

On Friday, my week really came to a head. I was in a rotten mood already, and had a million things to do, so I left a little earlier than usual to get to work. Everything is fine until I hit FM1960. This is 3 lanes in each direction, sort of a major thoroughfare. It runs through residential and commercial / retail areas. Lots of traffic lights, but fairly smooth sailing most mornings because the lights are timed right. Smooth sailing every morning except Friday morning...

I was bee-bopping along, and traffic came to a halt. Barely creeping along. After a while, I managed to maneuver where I saw some flashing lights ahead. Long story short, I tried to go around it, but I managed to get right back into the mess. After almost an hour in and out of the mess, I finally figured out what the hold-up was. It wasn't a wreck, it was a house...

They were moving a damn house down a major traffic artery in rush hour. A FRIGGIN HOUSE... The delay was that they had a cherry picker truck at every intersection to help lift the traffic lights out of the way. A HOUSE. During RUSH HOUR... Amazing...

Shelly, on the other hand had a decent Friday. She went to the kids daycare and attended Christmas parties for both boys and got back to work to find her Christmas gift. A Quite nice Coach Leather bag / purse. And not a tiny one either. One MUCH nicer than we could have afforded to buy for her had she wanted to buy a new purse. She ended the week on a high note, and I was left feeling like someone had crapped in my Christmas Stocking.

About 11PM Friday night, we were sitting in the living room. Shelly was feeding Jonathan, and Matthew was sleeping on the couch next to me while we were watching TV. All of a sudden, the doorbell rang. Now, if you know me, you can imagine that I peeked out the window next to the door and had a little household protection handy. On my front step was a tall, rather thin black man...

It took a couple of tense seconds to figure out what was going on, when I noticed the oak tree in the yard. Toilet Paper. The black guy? Barack Obama. Someone had TP'd our yard and put a life size cardboard Barack Obama figure on my front step. No one has fessed up, but Ty and Amanda are prime suspects.

Whoever did it, you have my sincere thanks. That was just the little bit of boost I needed after a really rough week. It only took me about 10 minutes to clean it up, then we had a good laugh about how I nearly capped Obama... I would have used the Castle Doctrine defense.

I will say that we have had soem fun with Obama the last couple of days. We have had 2 family Christmas events this weekend, and he went to both of them with us. I have to admit, NONE of the family members were happy to see him. Not sure who all voted for him, but I didn't run into a single one of his supporters while we were making our rounds.

He'll travel a little more with us this week before we pass him off to someone else in another week or so. He's going to the ranch with us later this week. Might be a little dangerous for him. People are VERY conservative out there, and the ALL have guns. Lots of guns. I can't guarantee he won't have a hole or 2 in him when he gets passed on...

5 comments:

Olivia said...

now all the comments on your facebook are making sense... laughing out loud at this one! That is just TOO funny! That Ty and Amanda! I need to know where to get one of those - Eric loves to play practical jokes on people!

~olivia

MELackey said...

a visit could definitely be arranged... Just need to stop and get a few rolls of TP first...

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

December actually sucks. This holiday thing was made up to make us happy.

Ty Camp said...

You're making me and Amanda famous, Mr. Lackey...deserved or not, you'll never know!

MELackey said...

Famous? From a mere mention in this blog? Nah. Famous is when channel 13 weather guy Travis Herzog shows up to report on the freak snowstorm centered around your yard and they interview the closest bystander, who happens to be a tall, sort of slender black man wearing a suit....