Thursday, June 12, 2008

Blogs I read...

Ok, after a year or so of blogging, I have 3 or 4 regular readers, and another few that stop by once in a blue moon. Actually, there are more than that. I noticed I had a reader from Sao Paulo Brazil and another from somewhere in India last week. Hopefully this provides some measure of entertainment, or at least a break from the work you should be doing...

So, the question is: What does MELackey read when he's cruising the web? Well, here are a few of the blogs and other sites I peruse on a fairly regular basis.

The Adventures of Tioga and George. I came across George on a camping website I like to read. I've been following him almost daily since late in 2004. He has an interesting story about beating the odds and surviving cancer. The day he was declared to be in remission, he bought and RV, moved out of his apartment, and hit the road in search of adventure. The proverbial "sucking the marrow out of life". George has this amazing ability to connect to locals wherever he is. He spends a good bit of time in Mexico, and is in Israel now looking for adventure in the land of his ancestors.

Our Odyssey I also found these guys on the camping website. Click the Home tab on their website and read a little of their background. Basically they travel to each corner of the US (and places beyond) in their converted Neoplan Bus. They are "full-timers". The are quite service oriented people, devoting a great deal of time and personal resources to helping the Red Cross with disaster relief. Their blog is probably one of the most complete, informative reads around about an amazing list of topics.

I'm Always Mentally on Vacation and This Makes Some Folks Mad. This guy is just a hoot. I found Reggie's blog by just randomly clicking the "Next Blog". I believe one of the first posts I read was about a little boundary dispute he was having with a redneck neighbor (Whatever happened to those mouth breathers anyway, Wreg?). Reggie (aka Wreggie) lives and works in North Carolina, but he belongs on a beach on St Croix. As a matter of fact, he's there this week.

Bumfuzzle Man, you want to talk about adventure, this is it. This couple lived in Chicago and worked as commodities traders. One day, they decided they needed to buy a boat and sail the Caribbean for a year (they weren't boat people beforehand...). Four years later they had circumnavigated the globe. Immediately after upon returning, they ran the 2007 Great American Race, winning the Rookie Division in their '65 Porche 356C. After finishing the race, they completed the outfitting of a 1958 VW Bus and hit the road. Man, the stories they will have to tell their grandchildren one of these days. Be sure to set aside a complete weekend to read their adventures from the beginning.

I need to scram now, but be sure to stay tuned for the rest of the blogs I read regularly. Also, if you don't mind, take a minute to leave me a comment with any suggestions. If you are a regular reader, drop me a note and introduce yourself.

1 comment:

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm back!