Thursday, June 28, 2007

Batchin' it...

Shelly and Matthew left last night to head up to Palestine (TX). Her parents wanted to take Matthew to ride the Texas State Railroad, and since her Dad's normal day off is Thursday, they were riding the train today. I didn't go with the for 2 reasons. #1 is that we're really busy at work and I didn't need to take the day off, and number 2 is that the train runs from Palestine to Rusk and back. I didn't want to take the chance that they would leave me in Rusk For those readers not from Texas, Rusk is where the Loony Bin is located.

Anyway, that means I had a whole night to myself. What to do? Night out with the guys? Couple a beers and watch the game? Nope. This is where you figure out how boring you really are. I think being a parent in a dual worker family sort of messes up your idea of a free night. To me it meant that I didn't have to cook dinner, help with laundry, or put the little turkey to bed. I ran errands...

First, I got a haircut. Ok, I'm sort of balding, but last night I decided it was time to stop hanging on to the hair and trying to make it cover as much as possible. Sort of a "Come to Jesus meeting" with the baldness. How short? Well, my Dad is bald except a ring around the outside edge. I make him look like one of those long haired hippies. The longest portion on the top is less than 1/2 inch, probably closer to 1/4. I like it.

Next, returned a couple of movies rented over the weekend (Happy Feet and Chicken Run - both for Matthew), then went to the car wash to get Shelly's truck washed for her. After that, shopping. I'm not a shopper, but I like buying clothes on the cheap. A few weeks ago while buying the Guayabera, I also bought one of those Haggar Cool 18 shirts. Nothing fancy, just sort of nice casual, short-sleeve button-up. The bottom hem is straight, so it looks good untucked. I liked it so much, I bought 3 more last night. On sale 60% off, not bad, eh?

I capped off the night with a slice of pizza from the local pizza joint and a little time in front of the boob-toob. A little "Pinks" on Speed TV, some History Channel, and a show on TLC about a guy in Mexico that weighed 1,200 lbs. Yep, I'm officially boring.

I told Shelly I was going to get some liquor and invite over a few old girlfriends. She wasn't worried.

No comments: