Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Getting revenge on the t-sippers...

Ok, a little background here. Everyone in Texas knows that the only rivalry in college football that matters is between t.u and the Fightin' Texas Aggies of Texas A&M. (Sorry, Katie, that's just how it is.) Ok, All of the aunt's and uncles (and some cousin's) on my mother's side of the family went to University of Texas, commonly referred to as t.u. They are generally referred to as longhorns or t-sippers. Shelly and many of her family members are Aggies. This makes for some serious fun at holiday get-togethers.
When Shelly and I met in the Spring of 2000, my cousin Eric (this is his wedding we just attended) was in the Longhorn Band. I was a Longhorn fan. I went to 2 games in the fall of 1999 to watch him march. I had a Longhorn sticker on the back of my car in support of him. I grew up rooting for the Longhorns. Basically, the Aggies were a bunch of nose picking boobs.

This perception of Aggies changed when I met Shelly. Shelly was good looking. She had all of her teeth. Not to mention, she looked good in a pair of Levi's. She didn't even pick her nose. It seems that all of these years, I had been fed mis-information. Well, after much ribbing from my family,Shelly and I were engaged that fall. Let me tell you, she gave as good as she got when it came to the school ribbing. When we were married in March of 2001, cousin Eric was one of the groomsmen. This is where things got interesting...

Like all good Aggies, Shelly chose the Aggie War Hymn as our Recessional (that's apparently the name for the song they play when you head out of the church). Of course, My uncles and Eric couldn't let this stand. As Eric and his appointed bridesmaid walked out, Uncle Mike passed Eric a burnt orange Longhorn cap to wear on his way out of the church. It didn't stop there either. At the reception, someone bribed the DJ to dedicate "The Eyes of Texas" (UT's song) to Shelly's family from my family. The rivalry has been quite fun from that point on.

That Fall, the entire family came to Houston for Thanksgiving. Shelly and I, headed to the the big game in College Station then to Rocksprings to hunt, while my family stayed at our house to watch the game and hang out for the rest of the weekend. Lesson here - if you are an Aggie, never leave a large group of Longhorns unattended in your house - especially around the time of the big Thanksgiving game. We returned home and found scores of little longhorn stickers all over our house. Some of them took weeks to be found.

Over Labor Day in 2003, Shelly and I drove to Alabama to spend a few days with my aunt and uncle (Eric's parents). You guessed it, we went armed with quite a few little A&M stickers. They admitted to finding one of them over last Christmas, more than 3 years later.

Of course, Eric married a Longhorn and there were definite UT themes at the wedding. The flowers the groomsmen and ushers wore had a sort of orange tint to them. There was also the grooms cake.

Here is a picture of it

.

I must say it was rather impressive, but it was noteworthy to point out that the "Jumbotron" was not playing highlights of the game from Thanksgiving 2006.

Here is a picture I took of my Uncle at the reception.

Poor guy. He walked around like that for over an hour before some meddling t-sipper took it off of him. heh, heh, heh.
When Eric and Morgan left the reception, there was a limo waiting in front of the hot to take them for a little drive. The driver was dutifully guarding the rear door of the car while we were all lined up waiting for them to come out so we could throw rose petals at them. Well, the guy was an amateur. I simply strolled around the front of the car, around the drivers side, and slipped into the LEFT side rear door of the car while Mr Driver was watching the crowd. Once inside, I got to work placing little A&M stickers to any surface in the car that they would stick to. That should have made for an interesting ride for the new bride and groom.. The funny part was when they got in the car. Morgan got in first, and completely didn't see me since she was looking at Eric as he got in the car. Once Eric was in the car, I tossed my handful of rose petals at them, then made a break for the door.
Shelly said it was a pretty funny sight from the outside. Bride and groom jump in the car and the door closes. Seconds later, the door re-opens and the jokester cousin of the groom (that would be me) tumbles out of the car just before the car screeches away.

No comments: