Sunday, June 10, 2007

I smoke old stogies I have found
Short, but not to big around...

Well, let me say first that our friend Julie throws one hell of a party. This Cuban themed parts was top notch. Along with the catered Cuban food and a very complete bar, she also had a Cuban lady sitting at a table in the back yard rolling cigars. You can't do it up much nicer than that. Man, now I feel like a bumpkin. I go and have the local smoke shop put together a decent assortment of cigars for this guy, and he has people coming by and rolling them in his back yard. Ok, so you don't keep the ones they roll in front of you because they have to age, etc, but they did bring a pile of ready-to-go cigars for the party guests. Apparently the place catering the cigars is one of the owners of a tobacco plantation somewhere in Mexico that grows from Cuban seeds.
Alright, I'm not usually the cigar type, but after a couple of Mojitos, some most excellent Cuban food, and the urging of a few others, I selected one of the supposedly milder smokes and lit up. When in Rome... You have to know me to picture this. I'm getting instructions on how to properly "smoke" a cigar. The coach was one of the female guests of some sort of Latin American descent. She sounds like she knows what she's talking about. All of them are telling me to not inhale, just suck in and rotate the cigar while lighting it. Puff in, *caugh*, coach repeating the "don't inhale" instructions. Repeat, coach tells me to just think of Clinton and don't inhale. Ok, when I think of Clinton and cigars, it has nothing to do with inhaling, laugh about that joke, cigar loses what light it has, and have to start over... Dang, this cigar smoking is tough. Finally get it lit, and now we're in business. It took me a little while to get the hang of puffing in on the cigar and not inhaling.

Shelly said I looked rather relaxed lounging in a chair on the back patio with a cold beverage (club soda with lime at this point) and a glowing stogie. After the busy Spring we have had, a nice, low-key party and visiting with friends was just what the Dr ordered.

For those wondering about the previously mentioned guayabera, here are a couple of pick of a certain smartly dressed couple...


Anyone wondering about the cigar rollers and such, here is a link to their website:

No comments: