Sunday, June 24, 2007

Time's Up...

As the weekend ends, I can't help but feel like a student again. You know what I'm talking about. Rushing to finish the tasks, and the feeling when "time" is called and you must stop working, even though not all of the tasks have been completed.

I feel like I worked my butt off all weekend, but didn't quite get finished with the "to do" list.

The grass is cut, the toilet replaced, car seat installed, and the oil changed. I diagnosed . confirmed the problem with Shelly's truck (which involved removing the left front wheel, brake caliper, and hub assembly). Once diagnosed, I headed to the local Ford dealer to buy the replacement sensor and wiring, only to be told they have to order it. Crap. I had to re-assemble the whole dang thing and will have do the drill again next weekend once the part arrives. Man this sucks, that kills a couple of hours.

I didn't even attempt the work on the Tahoe. The wiper blade is simple enough that I'll do it one day this week. Replacing the wiper fluid tubing will mean removing the battery and battery tray to get to the washer fluid bottle, so that will wait until next weekend. One design flaw on Chevrolet trucks is that the washer fluid bottle is below the battery. The factory battery had a cracked case after 3 years, which allowed acid to leak down onto the washer bottle. The bottle was fine, but the 2 pumps (front & rear) were killed by the acid. I replaced both only to figure out that some of the tubing was also killed. It's been over a year, and I finally broke down and paid about $40 each at the dealer for these oddly shaped molded plastic tubes. The Chevy dealer had both in stock.

I will point out that for my Tahoe, even the most obscure parts always seem to be in stock, but for the Ford... I also found that one of the 4 hub bolts on the Expedition was missing. I'm certain I torqued all of them properly last time, but.... That also had to be ordered. You would think that a bolt like that would be common on several different vehicles, so one would be somewhere. Apparently the closest one is in Farmers Branch. You'd think in a town the size of Houston, there would be at least one around...

The in-laws invited us to meet them for lunch today. Free lunch at Steak & Ale is always good, but it pretty much cost me the nap. Also, since the race was in California and started pretty late, I was only able to see the first 15 laps or so.

Well, next weekend, the nap is being moved a little higher up on the list. The list will also be shorter. I might not get much done, but at least I'll finish everything on my list.

No comments: