Monday, July 02, 2007

Determined Son...

Matthew loves the Veggie Tales. One of his favorite Veggie Tales DVD's is the story of Jonah. It's actually a feature length movie instead of a short episode. We never bought it, but we rented it from Blockbuster on a couple of occasions.

When we started talking to him about potty training a couple of months ago, it was decided that the Jonah movie would be his reward for successful potty training. I went out and bought Jonah the next day so we would have it when the time came. While at the store, I also bought the Pirate Ship from the movie. I won't go into it, but you can Google it if you are interested. The characters with the ship are "The Pirates who Don't do Anything." It's a pretty funny deal. Matthew even knows and can sing their theme song.

About 2 weeks ago when we started the intense training, we told him that Daddy had the pirate ship AND Jonah. If he would try really hard with the training, he would get the ship. On the first day, his daycare teacher said he did really good and only had one or two accidents. He got the ship that night. It's been 2 weeks, and he's almost 100% on the "tee-tee in the potty" deal. Not bad, but he just wasn't interested in taking care of the other business anywhere but in his pants.

Well, today he started talking about Jonah and how he would get Jonah for going "poo-poo in the potty". He tried earlier tonight, and was so disappointed when he couldn't do it. He really wanted Jonah. When it was time for bed, we said he could try again tomorrow. After laying in bed a few minutes, he asked to get up and go to the potty. Once in there, he asked for a book. That's my boy. All good bathroom visits require some reading material.

My neighbors probably think I'm crazy, but I was out in the driveway in my drawers at 10PM getting the copy of Jonah out from under the seat in my truck. Man, that kid was excited. I'm proud of him. Hopefully he'll stick with it now.

I do have to say that 3 years ago, we were awaiting Matthew's arrival. I was nervous. I didn't know SQUAT about raising a kid. I still don't, but somehow we're making it. Who would think that you could get so excited about a kid using the bathroom. I've figured out that it's sharing in their excitement of a big accomplishment that is the big deal. Man, I love this stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your last paragraph. That is so true! Way to go Matthew!

Joanna