Thursday, July 05, 2007

Discount auto parts...

On the way home tonight I dropped by the Ford dealer to pick up the parts I need to fix the ABS on Shelly's truck. When I was in there almost 2 weeks ago to order the parts, I heard the parts counter guy telling another guy that the wholesale price of the parts is about 20% less than the retail price (wholesale being the price they sell to repair shops). In my experience, they can use this price at will if they want to.

Well, tonight there was a different guy working the counter than the one last week. When he tracked down my parts and went to ring them up, he said "What did he tell you the price was, about $58?" Quick thinking made me say "No, I think it was $40 something". He said, "OK, he must have given you the shop discount, that'll be $XX". Jackpot. I'll have to remember that next time.

I guess I'll admit why there is a problem with the ABS on the truck. A couple of months ago, I was changing the front brakes on the truck. I like doing the work myself. I know it is done correctly and it is a way to justify all of the money I've spent amassing more tools than the average automotive shop. I generally figure out what the shop charges for a repair and what it costs me in parts to perform the repair myself. The difference is my tool budget. Or, that WAS the case before we had Matthew and there is no more tool budget (or gun budget, or anything budget). Anyway, while performing the brake job, I was going to remove the rotors. Easy enough, right? Well, they seemed to weld themselves onto the hubs and would not come loose. In trying to remove the hub, I lost my grip and dropped the hub. The problem? The ABS sensor was still attached, and I damaged the sensor. The brakes work fine, but the little ABS light is on. Basically, this mistake cost me about double the time and the $50 I spent on the ABS sensor is about what I saved by doing the work myself.

The bonus of the deal? Looks like I'll be much too busy fixing the truck Saturday to be able to faux paint in the kitchen. Shucks.

No comments: