Sunday, July 08, 2007

I need to open a Mechanic Shop...

I woke up this morning dreading what was on my plate for the day. After a month of almost non-stop rain, we finally had a break in the weather. It had been 2 weeks since we last cut the grass, and it was looking quite shaggy. And it was getting warmer and VERY humid.

First things first, Sweetie the Chihuahua needed food. Her dinner last night was a little lighter than normal as I gave her the last of what we had. I got dressed and went up to Pet Smart for a bag of Science Diet. As I was pulling back into the neighborhood, my bro-in-law (Shelly's brother) called with a proposition. Sister-in-law's car needed new brakes - BAD. A while back we talked about trading labor for labor, and he wanted to know if he could come over today and complete the deal. Here's the deal. He would come over and mow, edge, trim, and blow off the concrete areas, I would change the brakes on their car and rotate the tires. Sounded good to me.

By now you know that I like working on the cars. I figured this was a pretty good deal for both of us. It was over 90 degrees and above 90% humidity, plus the grass had 2 weeks worth of growth (lots of rain and I fertilized good a couple of months ago). Besides, this wouldn't take me much longer to change the brakes than it would take to do the yard. My garage has 3 fans for a nice cross breeze, and I have a rolling stool to sit on while working. There is also a fridge between the workbench and the toolbox stocked with all of my favorite cold beverages. It was still HOT, but it wasn't hard work, and I got to work in the shade. He said he would come back in a couple of weeks to mow again if I will replace the windshield squirters in his Tahoe like I did to mine last week. That works for me. If I can get enough of my friends on with this plan, I might not have to mow my own yard for the rest of the season.

No comments: