Saturday, July 07, 2007

FLUSH... Uh, Oh...

Yes, today was a busy day. Lots of stuff going on. This, and the happenings in the next 2 posts happened simultaneously, but it works better to write about them separately.

When I went out to clean in the garage this morning, my little helper wanted to come out to. He busied himself with a broom and dust pan in the driveway while I put things back where they belonged. I looked out on the front walk to check on him, and he had "that look" on his face. I asked him if he was dropping a load, and he denied it. I then told him to go in the house to the bathroom, and saw that my suspicions were correct. He had a lump in the back of his shorts, and he was holding onto the lump while he walked inside (sort of a bow-legged walk). A few minutes later he came outside and announced that he was "all clean"

About 15 minutes later, it was time for him to go in and eat lunch. Shortly thereafter, Shelly came out and told me she had a plumbing project for me. Great, I'm busy enough already today. I don't want to play plumber. What's the problem? Apparently Matthew had flushed his underwear down the toilet, and the toilet is stopped up. Great. Most kids flush toys or other items, my kid is flushing his Elmo drawers. That's one ride Elmo will never forget. If I had know he'd be flushing them, I would have bought the Barney drawers. I hate Barney.

Shelly said she had already tried a pair of tongs, but they were too far in the john to reach them with the tongs. She didn't like my suggestion that she reach her hand in the hole to see if she could reach them. Then a brainstorm hit me. I went on the side of the house and removed the cover to the clean-out. I gave Shelly a yard stick and told her to catch Elmo if he floated on down the line. This would do 2 things. It would confirm that the obstruction was clear, and it would salvage the pair of drawers. I went inside and hit the flusher so there was enough water to help "float" the obstruction (Elmo drawers), then used the plunger for all I was worth to push them down the line. I'm happy to report that it worked. I guess that summer on the plumbing crew paid off yet again.

Let's hope that the "adjustment" Matthew received made enough of an impression that we don't have any more items flushed down the toilet.

Man, after today, I hope I get a nap tomorrow afternoon. The only work that HAS to get done is mowing the grass.

No comments: