Monday, July 23, 2007

Dreaming of Omelette's...

Sunday morning was a morning to sleep in at my house. The yard had been done on Saturday, we were ok on laundry, and the house was fairly clean. Besides, it was raining outside.

Around 10:00, Shelly and Matthew headed downstairs. I laid in bed watching TV for a little while longer. When I went downstairs, I was getting pretty hungry. I knew from the sounds coming out of the kitchen that something was being cooked. It turns out that Shelly was making cheesy eggs and toast (cinnamon toast). Of course, since I stayed in bed a little longer than them, The breakfast that was made wasn't for me. I was on my own.

For many men, this would cause a problem. It's not a problem for me. I like to eat, and fortunately, I also like to cook. Even better, I find my cooking to be quite tasty. After a quick survey of the available ingredients, I set to work. I diced up some smoked deer sausage and browned in the skillet with some chopped sweet (yellow) onion. While that was working it's magic, I beat 3 eggs with some salt, pepper, and a little milk. It's important to beat them into a froth so the omelet comes out a little fluffier (maybe, maybe not, but it sounds good anyway). Start the omelet in the skillet and when the egg starts to set, add the sausage, caramelized onions, and some grated cheese. Serve with a few pieces of toast, and you are set (not in a pop-up toaster, butter it and toast it under the broiler). To use a southern phrase, "So good, it makes you want to slap yo Mama."

Bragging a little, aren't we? You betcha. I do have to be a little careful, though, I only have 4 or 5 packages of deer sausage left, and deer season is still 4 months away.

No comments: