Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Just watering the lawn...

I was awakened this morning by the sound of a diesel engine and airbrakes - close. Very close. Please don't let that be what I think it is... I got up and looked out the window, and it was a concrete pumper truck, along with at least a half dozen concrete mixer trucks. Crap. I guess the time is here. They are pouring concrete for "the road".

Our house is on a corner lot, with a dead-end street on the side. They have put up one commercial building behind us, and are building one more. Part of that project involves connecting our little dead-end street to the rest of the world. Not optimal... I've spoken with neighbors, the owner of the completed building, and the developer for the current construction - none of us want the road, but the city / county are requiring construction. We're in the middle of some appeals in hopes of having it remain closed, but in the meantime construction continues. The road is necessary for access to the new construction, but no one involved wants it open to through traffic, hence the appeals we are going through.

Back to this morning... A little after 6:00, Shelly got up and was looking out the window, and complained that at least a half dozen Mexicans were standing around in the rear of our side yard. Not on the sidewalk, but milling around in the grass. Ok, they weren't really hurting anything, but when they wake me up an hour before I normally get up... I did what anyone else would do in that situation. I got up, casually walked downstairs, went into the garage, and turned the sprinklers on. Yes, I could have gone outside and asked them to keep off the grass and keep the noise down a little, but I got the same results - without having to put on pants... Shelly said those guys scattered like ants when the water came on. It was her idea...

My thoughts on the matter? I have to let them do their work, but I don't have to make it easy for them. I wonder what else I can do to jack with them? Any ideas? (not willing to break the law or damage anything, just jack with the guys).

Maid Service...

Tomorrow is our twice monthly maid day. It was supposed to be last week, but we had it postponed until this week due to last week's little faux painting project. Maid day tomorrow meant one thing for today... clean up the house. What's up with that? Why in the heck am I spending my evening cleaning the house when we're going to PAY someone to come in and clean tomorrow? That's crazy. Basically I pay someone $75 or so to come in and clean 3 toilets, vacuum, change the sheets, and do a half-assed job of dusting. On second thought, I guess it's worth it. These are MY toilets we're talking about.

No comments: