Monday, May 14, 2007

New Nephew...

Congrats to Brett and Kim (Shelly's brother & his wife). Today they welcomed a new little boy. He's a cute little bugger also - not sure how, but I'm sure he gets that from his uncle. Man, I'm an uncle again. Just a few years ago, there were no little munchkins in the family. Now I have 4 nephews and one niece. Hopefully everyone puts the brakes on soon, or we're going to go broke at Christmas time.

Matthew loves babies, and he was thrilled to see this new little guy, only about 7 hours old.

Now for something on the lighter side.

In a bind...

Ever get in a situation when nature calls at a most inconvenient time? And keeps calling... Like the phone keeps ringing, but no phone booth handy? I get in those situations every now and then. Usually it happens to me when I'm in the car and nowhere near friendly territory. I was thinking about a time several years ago when I was in a real bind...

I was in college and had just started dating a girl I had been scheming about for a while. We were both active in the BSU, and went to fall convention. The place was about 1.5 hours away, and she and 2 of her friends rode up there with me.

On the way home, it was dark and I got the low rumble of nature calling. Man, what an uncomfortable spot. I vented off some pressure. The first couple were fine, no harm, no foul, but then something happened. The "winds of change" started blowing out of the south, if you know what I mean. After apologizing profusely and rolling the windows down, I was thinking that I would likely end up single again after this trip. I needed to find an exit, but in this part of the state, there was NOTHING. I found an exit, but there was nothing but a country road, not even a grimy gas station. Oh, man, gotta vent a little more pressure. Oops, that one felt different... I had to stop NOW, the next one would definitely be the real thing... I saw a sort of a little road leading into the woods, so I backed in enough to be hidden from the road, opened the trunk, and was taking care of business behind the car. Thank goodness for that roll of paper towels in the trunk... From the car, I heard howls of laughter. I'm much too involved in this process to care much about what they find so funny.

A few minutes and a few false alarms later, I finally determine that I'm safe to continue the trip. The gang in the car is still laughing when I get back in. What's so dang funny? Well, it was the sign I inadvertently pulled in next to. It read "No Dumping". Of all the signs they could have put there... As a side note, I never did live that one down, but she continued dating me for another 3 or 4 years.

Songs stuck in your head...

Isn't it always the craziest song you end up with stuck in your head? For me, the music today is the old children's song "Head, shoulders, knees & toes (knees & toes). Head, shoulders knees & toes (knees & toes). Your eyes, your ears, your mouth, your nose. Head shoulders, knees & toes (knees & toes).

Man, I gotta listen to adult radio more often...

No comments: